Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Great Scene: It's a Wonderful Life

Woa.  I think I have finally semi awoken from my food and booze coma! (Seriously.  I fell asleep at the happiest place on earth)  The best thing about Thanksgiving being behind us, besides having a whole year to feel this gross again, is that it marks the start of the Christmas season.  Like any good New York born Jew, I love Christmastime.  I listen to the holiday radio station, get pumped for very special TV episodes and most importantly, watch Christmas movies galore.  If you know me, you know that one of my favorite films of all time is It's A Wonderful Life, and although the following moment isn't Christmas-y it is still a great scene.  In fact, I would argue that it is one of the greatest scenes in film, and certainly the most chemistry filled.

The quick set up:  George Bailey (young George, who has yet to decide that he wishes that he had never been born) is totally crushing on Mary, who has loved him her whole life.  This is a bit of a problem for George, who has wanted nothing more than to escape his home town of Bedford Falls and hates the idea that anything (or anyone) would hold him back.  But years of flirty lust can't be ignored, and it all comes to a head in this scene. I mean, come on.  It makes the telephone sexy.  That takes some serious skill.


Great(est?).  Scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment