Thursday, December 15, 2011

How Golden Are These Globes?

Oh Golden Globes.  I'm not mad at you.  But I'm not exactly pleased with you either.  While you righted some of the wrongs that the SAG noms made, you seemed to have created a whole slew of WTF moments all on your own.  Here are my snap judgements on this morning's nominations.

Double The Gosling
Ryan Gosling was nominated twice, making up for his total lack of nomination yesterday.  While he's up against the biggest names in the biz for Best Actor in a Drama (Clooney, Pitt, Dicaprio), I can't help but wonder if he maybe has a shot for Best Actor in A Comedy/Musical for Crazy Stupid Love.  Even though I find that that is the category with the more talented crop of guys (Oh hey Joseph Gordon-Levitt), I kind of have a fantasy where Gosling wins this.  Can you imagine his speech?  I'm sure it would be swoon worthy.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.  For now, it is simply an honor (for him) to be nominated.  Twice.  Suck on that SAGs.

Double The Clooney
I'm not sure if Clooney deserves either of the nominations, but I'm all for the camera panning to him a lot during the telecast.  So I'm cool with this.

Shailene Woodley
Woodley was the only thing I didn't hate about The Descendants and she has managed to make people forget that she is the lead on the most mocked fictional show on television.  That must take some serious talent.  I'm glad that the Globes recognizes younger people and I think this may in fact be well earned.

Score Sunbs
I'm sure I'll love the sound of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo as I am crazy about The Social Network score, but out of all the films that have already come out this year The Chemical Brothers score to Hanna was certainly the best.  It's lack of nomination puzzles me.  I have a friend who I'm sure would argue that Drive being left off this list is also a major snub.  And I'm not sure I would disagree.  This is a category in which I tend to get oddly invested and am a little bummed that such heavy hitters where forgotten.

American Horror Story
It's probably no secret that I love this show (check out my review of last night's episode later today), so I'm thrilled that it got a nod and am looking forward to watching its cast walk the red carpet and sit at one of those fancy tables.  Lange's nomination was expected, but still nice as well.  I'm normally pissed about all the Glee love, but I can put up with the HFPA's Ryan Murphy ass kissing if it means that this show gets recognized.

Where is Breaking Bad?
You know how in yesterday's post I said that there were things that I wanted but I didn't want to be greedy and ask for too much?  What I meant was "I want to talk about Breaking Bad but it is totally a shoo in, so I won't waste one of my wishes".  Well, I jinxed it.  Not having Breaking Bad in the Best Drama category is simply criminal, especially considering many feel that it is finding its way to the top of the best dramas of all time list.  This was a major snub.

No Friday Night Lights
It's official.  FNL's chance at any more awards is officially gone.  It's interesting that there are no network dramas nominated, and maybe that is what this show had against it.  A little too much heart and a bit too little skin. Oh well.  At least the Emmys gave it some love.

Yay Amy Poehler, But Where is Parks And Rec?
I'm glad that the show got a tiny bit of love in the form of Amy Poehler being recognized for being way more awesome than any other funny lady on television, but where is the show itself?  Parks and Recreation somehow manages to be the funniest thing on TV and perhaps, with FNL gone, the most heart warming.  It not being nominated is honestly ridiculous.  I'm crossing my fingers that the awards wake up soon and realize that THIS is what's good about television.

We NEED More Supporting Actor Categories
I've never understood why the Globes does its categories the way it does, but I really hate it this year.  Forcing comedies, dramas and mini-series into the same category, one that already has more potential candidates than any other, is just unfair.  To make room for mini series guys like Paul Giamatti (a Globes favorite), Guy Pearce and Tim Robbins, we lost Aaron Paul, Giancarlo Esposito (and every other Breaking Bad guy), Nick Offerman (and every other Parks and Recreation guy), Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Ty Burrell, Ed O'Neil, Walton Goggins, Alan Cumming, Josh Charles, Chris Colfer, Neil Patrick Harris, Dani Pudi, Donald Glover, Garret Dillahunt, Max Greenfield, Michael Pitt, John Noble and Evan Peters.  This system is stupid. It needs to be said.

Despite some suckiness, I'm still looking forward to watching the Globes because I honestly don't know who is going to win a lot of thee awards.  And the chance of the unexpected, of a real surprise, is always fun.  Plus Ricky Gervais will be back this year to cause a little more damage.  And its the only show where they plow the nominees with booze, leading to some potentially awesome speeches (or at the very least, one winner in a bathroom scenario).  It may not be perfect, but I'm curious to see how this all plays out.  It may just be one hell of a show

No comments:

Post a Comment