Monday, December 26, 2011

The Best Movie Of The Year?

For the rest of this week, I'm going to overload you with with TV top ten lists.  Although the year may not have started out that way, it kind of ended up being a great year for television.  For the rest of pop culture?  Yeah, not so much.  Sure theater had Book Of Mormon and music had some nice indie bands break through, but compared to the wealth of goodies on TV it just doesn't measure up.  And don't even get me started on film.

I hated almost everything I saw in the theaters this year.  The few films I didn't hate (Hanna, Hugo, maybe even X Men) ranged on the spectrum of "like", not even falling close to the "love" category.  There was only one film that had me feeling truly good about it when I walked out of the theater and I'm semi-ashamed to even bring it up out of fear that my film school friends would disown me.  But here it goes.  The best film of the year very well may be Crazy, Stupid Love.


Let's get the obvious out of the way for a minute.  Yes, it is a horrible title.  It says nothing about the movie and it doesn't mean anything.  Yes, the film is also a little oddly structured and perhaps a bit too long.  But I don't care.  Compared to the shit that has come out this year, it might as well be Citizen Kane.  It has great actors in somewhat complicated roles, it can be crazy funny and has provided the most effective twist in any medium this year.  Due to illness and a general lack of quality at the movies this year, my family stayed in for Christmas and watched this.  It was my third viewing.  I still laughed, still got embarrassed and worried for the characters, still rooted for everyone to make it right in the end.  If you ignore the now out of date jokes (one on Steve Jobs, the other on Ashton and Demi) it manages to hold up remarkably well.  It may be light and sweet, but it's a good little film.

No comments:

Post a Comment